Sunday 30 August 2020

The Seventies: Joya Unconfined

 


Today, 30 August, is the fiftieth anniversary of Duke Ellington's appearance on the early morning children's show, Time for Joya, hosted by Ellington's former vocalist, Joya Sherill.



Here is a reminiscence from featured artist 'Mr BB', Brumsic Brandon Jr,  who created the character Seymour the Bookworm:

One of my fondest memories of taping Joya's Fun School was when Duke Ellington was our guest.

 

I had a subject I had been anxious to bring up to him since I was a freshman in High School. I had an art teacher then who had also taught the Duke and he loved to brag about it. 


He would regale the class with wonderful stories about Edward Ellington and what a gifted art student he was. For many years I harbored a burning desire to raise that subject if I were ever fortunate enough to meet the Duke. 


When he came into the studio to tape a guest appearance on Joya's Fun School I finally got to ask, "Duke, do you remember the name of your high school art teacher?" Without hesitation, Duke responded, "Of course. That was Mr. Dodson!" With enormous pride I told Duke that I had been taught by the same Mr. Dodson, who was so very fond of telling Ellington stories. 


Duke's answer satisfied my need to have Mr. Dodson's memories confirmed and it made me wonder how Duke could remember with such alacrity. I was mightily impressed! 


Later, on camera, the Duke told the kids that he and Mr BB "went to school together." Luther Henderson and I looked at each in disbelief. I thoroughly enjoyed that moment with the quietest belly laugh I have ever had. 


Mr. Dodson must have taught Duke Ellington very early in his teaching career and me just before his retirement. (My mother and Duke Ellington were about the same age.) I think Duke's faux pas ended up on the cutting room floor. 


On the same show I was honored when I got to draw a picture with the Duke. He would draw one thing and I would draw something else that was separate but related. Thanks to my wife's tenacity in a tug of war with an Ellington agent, the drawing is still ours. That composite work of art is now framed and is proudly displayed periodically in my home. 


Mr. Dodson would have been very pleased with both of us, former students, I am sure. 


There is a summary of the episode on the same web page here. Sound files of the episode are also available for download but do not seem to play on my computer. Nil desperandum... Here is the audio for the episode, courtesy of YouTube...



You can read more about the artist Brumsic Brandon Jr and his daughter Barbara here...



No comments:

Post a Comment