Wednesday 15 July 2020

Birthday Presence



I shall be participating in a 'broadcast' by the Duke Ellington Society UK this afternoon at 5:00pm GMT in their series Uptown Lockdown. The presentation is a celebration of Paul Gonsalves' centenary. I've chosen eight records (Desert Island Discs style) which illuminate 'scenes from a life' as it were. I do hope you will be able to join us.

Here are some 'scenes from a life' which magpie-like I stole from Michael Steinman's terrific blog Jazz Lives and a post entitled The Elusive Paul Gonsalves.

Here are images of a young Paul Gonsalves (one could say a 'Young' Gonsalves looking at the final photograph which commentators on the original post (click on the link above) say is definitely Paul).

Michael discovered these images, as is my own wont, browsing eBay, in search, possibly, of what Eliot would probably call fragments we shore against our ruin... 














3 comments:

  1. Thanks to all involved — it was a treat to listen. “Storie de Pol” was ear-opening. And you had my favorite version of “Happy Reunion.” One to look for, if you don’t already have it: the Hines-Gonsalves Black Lion album. “It Don't Mean a Thing” and “Moten Swing” are especially great.

    Ian, I may not have an especially well-developed ear for the varieties of UK English, but your voice reminded me so much of George Harrison’s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for watching, Michael. I do know the Earl Hines album and do agree about those tracks. There was so much music that could have been included but I probably went on as the programme was already at two hours!

    I'm very happy to accept the George Harrison compliment - though the comparison would stop were I actually to sing! I am from the North West of England and have lived near Manchester for the last 35 years - so not so far wrong with hearing a northern city twang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad I was in the ballpark. :)

    ReplyDelete